As we find ourselves in the heart of summer, there's no better time to invest in hanging baskets. Wicker hanging baskets are a decorative staple in any garden and are used to bring extra interest and dimension to patios, balconies and more outdoor spaces. In this blog, we'll explore how hanging baskets enhance buildings, gardens and small spaces, provide year-round beauty, and offer a touch of nature to brighten up any corner. Get ready to uncover the secrets of creating vibrant oases with hanging baskets that are both practical and visually stunning.
Why Should I Use Hanging Baskets?
When using the right plants and providing proper maintenance, hanging baskets can be as practical as they are decorative and lead to long-lasting plants that maintain a beautiful bloom for the full year.
What Is The Benefit of Using Hanging Baskets?
1. Enhancing Small Spaces
One of the primary benefits of hanging baskets is their ability to enhance small spaces. Whether you live in an apartment with a tiny balcony or have a small patio, hanging baskets can add a touch of nature without taking up valuable floor space. They are perfect for urban dwellers who crave a touch of greenery but lack the ground space for traditional gardening.
2. Variety and Versatility
Hanging baskets aren't just for flowers. You can grow a variety of plants, including herbs, succulents, and even some types of vegetables. This versatility allows you to customize your baskets to fit your personal taste and needs.
3. Easy Maintenance
Hanging baskets are relatively easy to maintain. They require regular watering, and because they're off the ground, they're less prone to common garden pests. Plus, it's easier to control the growth and spread of plants in a hanging basket compared to those in a garden bed.
4. Aesthetic Appeal
There's no denying the aesthetic appeal of a well-maintained hanging basket. They add color, texture, and life to any space. Whether you choose vibrant perennials, trailing ivy, or a mix of colorful succulents, your hanging basket is sure to be a visual delight.
5. Year-Round Beauty
While summer is the prime time for many flowering plants, there are plenty of options for year-round beauty. With the right choice of plants, and fantastic winter hanging basket ideas available, your hanging baskets can provide color and interest throughout the year, even throughout the dreaded winter time.
6. Environmentally Friendly
Hanging baskets are an environmentally friendly way to garden. They require less water than traditional garden beds and, if you choose to grow herbs or vegetables, can reduce your carbon footprint.
How To Plant A Hanging Basket - Step by Step
Step 1: Choose Your Plants
- Visit Plants By Post and your local garden center for inspiration.
- Follow the "thriller, filler, spiller" rule for plant selection.
- Consider one or two shades of complementary hues for a cohesive look.
- Alternatively, grow a mini kitchen garden with herbs, salad leaves, strawberries, or tomatoes.
Step 2: Use A Suitable Basket
- Wicker Baskets are the most popular type of hanging basket.
- You can also get creative by upcycling vintage enamel bowls, colanders, or birdcages.
- Attach high hanging baskets to extendable cords for easy maintenance.
At Plants By Post our quality Wicker baskets made from natural willow, these baskets are brand new and come complete with a plastic liner.
They are woven round a steel frame and come complete with a chain which will support up to around 25kg, more than enough for a hanging basket of this size.
Step 3: Line Your Basket
- Plants By Post Wicker Baskets come already lined for convenience,
- You can use moss or a natural fiber liner to hold the soil also.
- Ensure the right size liner for your basket whatever method you use.
Step 4: Create A Water Channel
- Form a water reservoir in the base of the lined basket.
- Use an impermeable material or a small flowerpot with gravel in the center for easier watering.
Step 5: Add The Compost
- Fill the basket around three quarters full with good multipurpose compost.
- Add bark, water-retaining crystals and slow-release fertilizer granules for proper moisture and nutrients.
Step 6: Arrange Your Plants
- Water the plants in advance to keep the soil together when planting.
- Start with a central plant, add filler plants, and position trailing plants around the sides.
- Fill in around the root-balls with more compost.
Step 7: Water And Maintain
- Thoroughly water the hanging basket initially and check the soil daily.
- Keep the compost moist but not waterlogged.
- Regularly deadhead spent flowers to promote continuous growth.
Wicker Baskets for the Win
In conclusion, hanging baskets offer a unique combination of versatility, beauty, and practicality. They're an excellent investment for anyone looking to enhance their living space, regardless of its size. So why wait? Now is the perfect time to add a hanging basket (or two!) to your home and garden.